It was time well wasted and there's no way I trade a few more things that I could've crossed off my list for a day I'll never forget. No, I didn't get a thing done but I sure soaked up every minute of the memory we were makin'. And I count it all as time well wasted

Tuesday

International School of Leuven

It's just approaching 10:30pm here and I am about ready for bed.  Tomorrow will be my third day at ISL and I am already deep in the different experiences offered by this alternative practicum.  

For starters, I only go to school until noon tomorrow!  The Belgian education system still honours the historical practice of Wednesday afternoons off.  Students used to attend their local parishes during this time for religious education, but its function has changed to a time for sports or family.

I have spent the majority of my time in the primary (Grade 1/2) classroom.  There are 7 students in the class, representing 6 countries around the world; United States, Poland, Vietnam, Japan, India, and Italy.  And the teacher is from England.  So it is a very diverse place to be.  The students follow the IPC (International Primary Curriculum) which has been an interesting point of comparison to the Ontario Curriculum.  They are all very well behaved and can move along fairly quickly with the small class size. 
Today I taught my first "lesson" to the two students studying Grade 2 math, where they were learning multiplication and division.  It was very last minute so I relied on the notes in the textbook and basic use of manipulatives (linking blocks), but the students were still very engaged.  I predict I will be continuing to teach these two students math for my time here, but with a little more planning next time.  I am really enjoying my time in the class. "Miss Cathy", the classroom teacher, is very friendly, flexible and trusting of the support that I can offer the class.  I am sure there will be a lot for me to learn in the primary class!  And hopefully I will have some things to offer them.  To that end, I stopped by the hardware store today.  For 2 EU$ I bought some pieces of pipe to make a "whisper phone".  We use these things in Canada to help early readers hear themselves (increase fluency and comprehension; especially when sounding out the letters) without disturbing the class.  One student in the class is considerably delayed to her peers' literacy abilities.  I hope that this common "tool" from the Ontario elementary classroom will help her.  We shall see!

Monday afternoon I had a short experience in the Kindergarten classroom, which also has 7 students.  The teacher is new to the class (taking over a maternity leave) so I was just offering extra supervision support outside.  The only other class at ISL is the Junior (Grade 3/4) class, which has 2 students!  So with 16 students and 3 full-time teachers it is a small school but full of opportunities.  As the ISL building is built, they share facilities with a local Dutch school.  So during my yard & lunch duty I have been exposed to those students as well.


This photo is outside of the ISL gates.  On Sunday we biked over to the school so I could get to know the area.  It is about 15 minutes from Jeremy and Scott's apartment by bicycle, but until I get more organized I have been taking the bus (also 15 minutes).

Good night! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment